Thursday 1 December 2016

Is Democrcay Becoming Old-Fashioned?

Image credit. And the article where I found it.

Machiavelli put his finger on it when he intimated that the common good is that which those with an interest in avoiding domination share. The source.

As I have tried to explain in countless posts, I believe that freedom depends on a functioning democratic regime.

So what to make of the above data?

Luckily, things change, fads of the day come and go.

The greatest hope I have for democracy is that contrary to what many people believe, it is more than elections, far more than that. Democracy is a culture that takes seriously the views of the individual. It is an epistemic feature of a certain type of civilization: the right of everyone to question everything. I cannot see how it should be possible to dissolve this enormously powerful critical impetus at the bottom of the democratic world in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment