Tuesday 16 August 2016

Personalities of Architecture


Image credit.

Architecture is the thoughtful making of space.

Louis Kahn


My French is getting better. It is quite amazing how my reading comprehension has improved in the past few months simply by regularly reading internet news from outlets like France 24 and Luxemburger Wort — every once in a while, throughout the day. In fact, I get the gist of most of the news, and not rarely even the bulk of the details, with a little help from my friend. Which was not the case at all when I started this new habit at the beginning of the year.

I am always on the outlook for bilingual platforms - like the below two videos, one in English, one in French, introducing us to a building that I find truly fascinating - the Johnson Wax headquarters designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and completed in 1938.

While I may be unaware of the degree to which the complex actually contains elements fashionable at the time, the building struck me as a tremendous feat in terms of consistently performed and aesthetically appealing originality.

A house does not have to be much of a unique "personality" to be your friend. Yet, I have always felt personally enhanced by buildings that exude a unique personality. To me, they count among the most powerful impressions that make life special, dignified, and hopeful.





And here the French version, presumably the original:


No comments:

Post a Comment