Monday 2 July 2018

A Question of Linguistic Correctness


Image credit

I was not sure whether it is correct English to have an inanimate object or an abstraction "see" something, as in: 

The year 1952 saw the company decline.

I found it difficult to articulate my question and it took quite some time for me to chance on an example that seems to support my intuition: 

According to data from a United Nations report released this July, this year saw a historic decline in global poverty.

(Source.) 

In this case, my intuition was accurate. The problem remains however that a good intuition may miss a nuance that makes the difference, turning the word or phrase into an oddity and falsehood.

The phrase that made me research the issue was something like: "... his career ... saw him advance from engineer to executive ..."

The result of my search tends to support the thesis that for me it is important to be able to articulate clearly what my question is.

No comments:

Post a Comment